thus begins the search for something greater, a real love for herself as she was created.

May you find and take everything from the writings of a girl who is still searching.

Monday, March 2, 2009

shh. do you hear that?

The season of lent is a time that calls followers to enter a simpler lifestyle in order to turn their attention to the events of easter through faster and prayer introducing litergy and a litergical feeling to their days. In these simple times some give up chocolate, or things that consume mass amounts of their time in order to turn their eyes upon something greater.
This year I realised I grew quite tired of participating in lent, giving up things that didnt really mean alot to me, that were easy-ish to do without for these 40 days. So my original thought was to abstaine from all food, except rice, in a fast that allowed me to be hungry. On my first day of this plan, something happened, and I was called back to "the table" which is a place of community and fellowship. God told me I was doing it all wrong, and that he called me to feed and take care of the poor, but if I was not taking care of my body, the temple in which I serve with, then how could I possibly fulfill that mission. So instead of fasting like that, I have given up eating alone.
It may sounds juvenile or a clever way to get free meals and eat with others, but I felt strongly in my soul this need to not remove myself from the table and the community I am a part of. Prior to lent, almost all of my meals were eaten alone, at a table for one, because the lifestyle of my family is not one that allows room to eat together daily. I work alone in a cubicle, and spend lunches at Rocky alone, leaving supper, where extra curricular activities get the best of all of us.
So far, not eating alone has proven to be kind of difficult some days, and easy others, but has allowed me to go deeper in relationships that already exist, and to create new relationships with people I never took the time to know.
On Thursday of last week, my father was in a seminar and missed work, leaving me alone for lunch. I was nervous, because although those of you that know me think I am extremely extraverted, I can also be quite shy. So, with friends busy, a father who wasnt present, and knowing one person in an office of 10, I prepared myself for no lunch, and began to pray that God would give me someone to eat lunch with in the office.
Not five minutes later, a woman named Linda who is rather new herself approached me and invited me to have lunch with her. I have yet to speak to Linda, mostly because she isnt very talkative, and the cubicle walls are just too excluding sometimes. Needless to say, we talked our whole lunch break, and I was able to tell her parts of my story, and listen to parts of her story as well. She was very sweet, and the company was wonderful to have, and it was nice, because now when I work, I can eat lunch with Linda. I hope we can grow together during my duration at Zurich, and I knew that she was an answer to a pray and allowed me to embark on this new exciting journey calling me to community.
So heres to more conversations, community, breaking out of my comfort zone and to slowing down this Lent season.
Peace be with you.
b.

No comments: